Pineapple Chicken Soup
- 3 cups cubed ripe pineapple, divided
- 1 can (14.5 oz.) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 quarter-size slices fresh ginger
- 1 large garlic clove, smashed
- 1 1/2 cups lemon verbena leaves
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 8 ounces boned, skinned chicken thighs, cubed
- 1 cup trimmed clamshell mushrooms
- 1 tomato, halved and seeded, then cubed
- 1 green onion, sliced diagonally
- 1/2 serrano chile, sliced
1. Whirl 1 cup pineapple with 3 cups of water until smooth, about 1 minute. Strain liquid into a 4 qt. pot.
2. Add broth, ginger, garlic, and verbena leaves. Simmer over medium heat, covered, until flavors have melded, 10 to 15 minutes.
3. Strain mixture again, discard solids, and return to pot. Add remaining 2 cups pineapple along with the remaining ingredients and cook over medium heat until chicken is firm, about 10 minutes.