Spatchcocked Chicken on Bread
- 1 whole chicken (3 1/2 to 4 pounds)
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chunky sea salt
- 6 slices rustic bread (from about 1/2 loaf), 3/4 inch thick
- 1 cup fresh Thai or regular basil leaves
- 1 cup fresh mint leaves
- 1 lemon, halved
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Cut chicken along backbone on 1 side with kitchen shears and open it like a book. Turn over and press to lay flat. Slather with 2 tablespoons butter; season all over with salt.
- Spread remaining tablespoon butter on 1 side of bread slices. Place side by side, buttered side up, on a parchment-lined rimmed baking sheet and lay chicken on top. Roast until chicken is golden brown and a thermometer inserted into thickest part of breast (do not touch bone) reaches 160 degrees, 30 to 35 minutes.
- Remove chicken from oven; let rest on baking sheet 10 minutes. Scatter with herbs; squeeze lemon juice over chicken. Cut chicken and bread into serving pieces; place on a platter. Pour pan juices over chicken and serve.
Flavor Swap: Add paprika and minced garlic with the salt. Use sliced potatoes instead of bread.
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour