Gluten-Free Roasted Sweet Onion Dip
- 2 large Vidalia or other sweet onions, peeled and quartered
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 whole garlic head
- 1/3 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1. Preheat oven to 425°.
- 2. Place onion in a large bowl; drizzle with oil. Sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon salt; toss to coat. Remove white papery skin from garlic head (do not peel or separate cloves). Wrap in foil. Place onion and foil-wrapped garlic on a baking sheet. Bake at 425° for 1 hour; cool 10 minutes. Chop onion. Separate garlic cloves; squeeze to extract garlic pulp. Discard skins.
- 3. Combine onion, garlic, remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, sour cream, parsley, and lemon juice in a large bowl. Cover and chill 1 hour.
Freshly squeezed lemon juice is ideal. Those lemon-shaped plastic bottles do contain real juice, but after it's reconstituted and mixed with preservatives, the taste is notably off, not fresh, a bit harsh and thin. It lasts for months but doesn't really add that divine fresh-lemon essence.