- 1 can (28 ounces) whole tomatoes in puree
- 1 jalapeno chile (ribs and seeds removed, for less heat), minced
- 2 small onions, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves (2 whole, 1 minced)
- coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 can (19 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup shredded pepper Jack cheese
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 4 large poblano chiles, halved lengthwise (stems left intact), ribs and seeds removed
- Preheat oven to 425. In a blender, combine tomatoes in puree, jalapeno, half the onions, and 2 whole garlic cloves; puree. Season with salt. Pour sauce into a 9-by-13-inch baking dish; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine beans, cornmeal, 1/2 cup cheese, remaining onions, minced garlic, cumin, and 3/4 cup water; season with salt and pepper.
- Dividing evenly, stuff poblano halves with bean mixture; place on top of sauce in baking dish. Sprinkle poblanos with remaining 1/2 cup cheese; cover baking dish tightly with aluminum foil.
- Bake until poblanos are tender, about 45 minutes. Uncover, and continue to cook until sauce is thickened slightly and cheese is browned, 10 to 15 minutes more. Let cool 10 minutes.