- 1 package (9 ounces) chocolate wafer cookies
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 4 bars (8 ounces each) cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup sour cream
- 8 ounces semisweet chocolate, melted
- Chocolate Ganache (see recipe), for topping
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Assemble a 9-inch springform pan with the raised side of the bottom facing down.
- In a food processor, pulse cookies until finely ground. Add butter, and pulse to moisten. Transfer to prepared pan, and press crumbs firmly and evenly into the bottom. Place pan on a rimmed baking sheet; bake 10 minutes, and set aside.
- Wipe out bowl and blade of food processor. Add cream cheese, sugar, and salt; blend until smooth. With motor running, add eggs, then sour cream, and finally chocolate; blend filling until smooth, scraping down sides of bowl as needed.
- Pour filling onto crust, and bake just until set, 1 hour. Turn oven off, and let cheesecake sit 1 hour in oven, without opening (this helps prevent cracking).
- Run a thin knife around the edge of the pan (this helps prevent cracking, too); leave in pan, and cool completely on wire rack. Cover loosely and refrigerate, at least 6 hours or up to overnight.
- Prepare Chocolate Ganache. Unmold cheesecake. Spread ganache in center of cheesecake; let set before serving.
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 4 ounces chopped semisweet chocolate
- In a small saucepan, bring cream to a boil. Remove from heat, and add chocolate. Stir until melted, then set aside until thickened, 2 to 5 minutes.