Slow-Cooker Spicy Buffalo Chicken Sandwiches
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced small
- 3 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 1 medium red bell pepper, seeded and diced small
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1/4 cup hot-pepper sauce, such as Frank's
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons yellow mustard
- 1 tablespoon unsulfured molasses
- 8 hamburger buns
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high. Add chicken thighs, season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring once, until meat is golden brown, 5 minutes. With a slotted spoon, transfer to a slow cooker, leaving as much oil behind as possible. Repeat with chicken breasts.
- To skillet, add onion, garlic, and bell pepper and cook over medium, stirring constantly, until onion is translucent, 6 minutes. Add 1/4 cup water and cook, stirring and scraping up browned bits from skillet, 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and transfer to slow cooker.
- To slow cooker, add crushed tomatoes, hot-pepper sauce, Worcestershire, mustard, and molasses; stir to combine. Cover and cook on high until chicken is very tender, 4 hours. Shred chicken and season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve on buns.