Oven Fried Southern Style Cinnamon Honey Chicken
- 3 lbs chicken, jointed in 8 pieces (make sure to use good quality chicken!)
- 1/2 cup flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 teaspoon good quality cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 pinch freshly ground nutmeg
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1/3 cup dried crushed breadcrumbs
- cooking spray
- 2 tablespoons oil (optional)
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup honey
- 2 pinches finely ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spray a large roasting pan lightly with cooking spray.
- Combine the flour with the salt, cinnamon, turmeric, black pepper, and a pinch nutmeg.
- Coat the chicken pieces well with the flour mixture (you can use chicken with or without skin on - it's up to you).
- Beat together the egg and milk; dredge the flour-coated chicken pieces in the egg mixture, then into the breadcrumbs.
- Arrange pieces skin side up (if using pieces with skin) in the sprayed roasting pan, making sure that the pieces are not touching each other (if possible) to ensure they bake crispy; spray chicken pieces with oil spray or sprinkle with 2 tablespoons oil and place the chicken in the oven to bake.
- While the chicken is baking, in a saucepan over medium low heat combine the butter, honey, pinches of cinnamon, and lemon juice.
- After the chicken has baked for 25 minutes, pour the butter and honey mixture generously over the pieces.
- Bake for an additional 15 minutes or until the juices run clear and the chicken is crisp and brown.
Note: if you'd like to add a bit of kick to the recipe, you can try a pinch or two of cayenne (to taste) in the honey sauce, or perhaps some red pepper flakes!