Traditional Yankee Pot Roast
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 (4-pound) boneless chuck roast, trimmed
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon cracked black pepper
- 2 cups coarsely chopped onion
- 2 cups low-salt beef broth
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup chopped plum tomato
- 1 1/4 pounds small red potatoes
- 1 pound carrots, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Chopped fresh parsley (optional)
- Preheat oven to 300°.
- Heat olive oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Sprinkle roast with salt and pepper. Add roast to pan, browning on all sides (about 8 minutes). Remove from pan. Add onion to pan; sauté 8 minutes or until browned. Return roast to pan. Combine broth, ketchup, and Worcestershire; pour over roast. Add tomato; bring to a simmer.
- Cover and bake at 300° for 2 1/2 hours or until tender. Add potatoes and carrots; cover and bake an additional 30 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Stir in lemon juice. Garnish with parsley, if desired.