Virginia Ham and Chicken Pie
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon marjoram
- 1 cup vegetable shortening
- 6 tablespoons milk
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 large onions, coarsely chopped
- 2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken thighs, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast halves, cut into 2-inch pieces
- Salt and pepper
- 2 (14.5 oz.) cans chicken broth
- 6 stalks celery, coarsely chopped (3 cups)
- 10 ounces mushrooms, trimmed and halved
- 6 ounces Virginia ham, cut into 1/2-inch-thick pieces
- 3/4 teaspoon marjoram
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon browning and seasoning sauce (such as Kitchen Bouquet)
- 1 large egg, beaten with 1 Tbsp. water
- Make crust: Preheat oven to 375°F. Mix flour, salt and marjoram in a medium bowl. Add shortening and blend with a pastry cutter until mixture resembles coarse meal. Add milk and stir lightly; add extra if dough is too dry. Shape dough into a rectangle, wrap in plastic and refrigerate.
- Make filling: Melt 1 Tbsp. butter in a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onions; cook until lightly browned, 5 to 7 minutes. Transfer to a bowl. Season chicken with salt and pepper. Melt remaining butter in Dutch oven. Cook thigh pieces until browned; add broth and cook, covered, over low heat for 15 minutes.
- Add chicken breast pieces, celery, mushrooms, ham, onions and marjoram to Dutch oven. Cook, covered, until breast pieces are cooked through, 10 minutes. Mix flour, 1/2 cup water, and Worcestershire and browning sauces. Whisk into chicken mixture and cook, stirring, until thickened. Season with salt. Transfer to a shallow 2-quart baking dish.
- Roll out dough between floured sheets of waxed paper to fit baking dish. Roll crust onto a rolling pin and unroll over filling. Press edges with a fork to crimp. Slice 1-inch slits in crust to vent steam. Brush crust with egg mixture.
- Place baking dish on a larger, foil-lined, rimmed sheet pan; bake pie until crust is golden and filling bubbles, 35 to 40 minutes. Serve immediately.